- Body and sleeves are worked in the round from the bottom to the underarm. The pieces are then united and the yoke is worked in the round.
- Cardigan only: The hem ribbing is worked flat, then stitches are cast on at the center front for a steek which will be cut open during finishing. Work continues in the round as for the pullover until the ribbed neckband, at which point the steek stitches are bound off and the neckband is worked flat. Button bands are added to the steeked center front edges.
- Version I (Pullover): 26½ (27¾, 29, 31½, 33¾)” circumference at chest
- Version II (Cardigan): 27 (28¼, 29½, 32, 34½)” circumference at chest, buttoned
- Sized for 2 (4, 6, 8, 10) years
- Pullover shown is size 6 (29″) on child who normally wears size 6; Cardigan shown is size 6 (29½”) shown on child who normally wears size 8
Need help picking a size? See our resource page on Selecting a Sweater Size 101.
- 26 stitches & 39 rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 26 stitches & 26 rounds = 4″ in charted colorwork pattern with Size B needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One each 16″ and 24″ circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Charted Colorwork Yoke):
- One each 16″ and 24″ circular needles, one size larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Due to significant variance between knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether or not this needle size should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A.
Size C (for Ribbing):
- One each 16″ and 24″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
Size D (Optional; for Tubular Cast On and Bind Off):
- One each 16″ and 24″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size C
- Suggested Size: 2¼ mm (US 1)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e. Sleeves).
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. Please test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.