- Atlas’s body and sleeves are worked circularly from the bottom up and joined at the underarms, then the yoke is worked in the round to the neckline. Both the body and the neckline are shaped using short rows.
- The Women’s and Men’s versions share the same chest measurements and yoke shaping. The Women’s version has a shaped waist whereas the Men’s version tapers slightly at the hip, and the Women’s and Men’s versions have different sleeve lengths.
- 20 stitches & 30 rounds = 4” in stockinette stitch with Size A needle, after blocking
- 20 stitches & 21 rounds = 4” in chart pattern with Size B needle, after blocking
Note: Correct length of the one-piece yoke is dependent upon achieving the stated round gauge.
Size A (for Single-Color Stockinette Stitch)
- One each 24” and 32” circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Two- and Three-Color Rounds of Chart Pattern)
- One each 24” and 32” circular needles, one size larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Due to significant variance among knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched and wet-blocked prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether or not Needle Size B should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A. Please read about Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting (see Special Techniques in pattern).
Size C (for Ribbing)
- One each 16” and 32” circular needles and one set of DPNs*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size D (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32” circular needle and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size C
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., Sleeves).
- 34½ (37½, 40¾, 44) (47¼, 50½, 53½, 56¾)” [87.5 (95.5, 103.5, 112) (120, 128.5, 136, 144) cm] circumference at chest
- Women’s sample shown is size 37½” [95.5 cm] with 3½” [9 cm] ease on model
- Men’s sample shown is size 44” [112 cm] with 6” [15 cm] ease on model
The finished bust/chest measurements are the same for both the Women’s and the Men’s versions; see Construction Notes for differences between the two versions.
Note how the sizes are divided within the parentheses for ease of following instructions. Make a note of which position in which set of parentheses your chosen size falls before you begin.
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.