- 24 stitches & 36 rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle or Sommers Chart pattern with Size B needle, after blocking
Size A (for Single-Color Rounds of Stockinette Stitch)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
Size B (for Two-Color Rounds of Chart Pattern)
- One 16″ circular needle, one size larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Due to significant variance between knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched prior to knitting your garment to determine whether or not this needle size should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A. Please read about Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting (see Special Techniques).
Size C (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 2¼ mm (US 1)
Size D (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size C
- Suggested Size: 2 mm (US 0)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 19″ [48.5 cm] circumference at brim
- 24″ [61 cm] circumference at widest point
- 8½” [21.5 cm] length