- The body and sleeves are worked circularly from the bottom up and joined at the underarms, then the yoke is worked in the round. Both the body and the yoke are shaped using Short Rows: Wrap and Turn Method. A steek is used to create the front opening. The center front steek is secured and then cut open before picking up stitches along the front and back neck edges for the collar/band piece. After the collar/band is worked, the steek is neatly tacked to the WS of the garment, either with yarn or sewing thread.
SIZES 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- 34¾ (39½, 44, 48½, 53¼, 57¾)” [88 (100.5, 112, 123, 135, 147) cm] circumference at chest (buttoned)
- Shaped (Version I) samples shown in Size 2 with 7½” [19 cm] ease on model, in main colors Serpentine and Gypsum
- Classic (Version II) samples shown in Size 3 with 0″ [0 cm] ease on model, in main colors Lazulite and Sandstone
Note: The Shaped and Classic versions share the same range of chest sizes. However, the body and sleeve lengths are different and there is waist shaping for the Shaped version.
Need help picking a size? See our resource page on Selecting a Sweater Size 101.
- 14 stitches & 22 rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 14 stitches & 20 rounds = 4″ in chart patterns with Size B needle(s), after blocking
Note: Correct length of the one-piece yoke is dependent upon achieving the stated round gauges. 14 stitches & 32 rows = 4″ in garter stitch with Size C needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Single-Color Stockinette Stitch)
- One each 16″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 6 mm (US 10)
Size B (for Chart Patterns)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs*, one size larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 6.5 mm (US 10½)
Due to significant variance among knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched and wet-blocked prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether Size B should be larger, smaller, or equal to Size A. We recommend trying Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting.
Size C (for Garter Stitch)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5.5 mm (US 9)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.