- Working Gauge
19 stitches & 24 rows = 4″ in unfinished Chain Pattern (before hooking up dropped stitches) with Size A needle(s), after light steam blocking
- Finished Gauge
18 stitches & 24 rounds = 4″ in finished Chain Pattern (after hooking up dropped stitches) with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5½ mm (US 9)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 20″ circumference unstretched (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20–24″)