- The body and sleeves are worked circularly from the bottom up and joined at the underarms, then the yoke is worked in the round. A steek is used to create the front opening. The center front steek is secured and then cut open before picking up stitches along the front and back neck edges for the collar/band piece. After the collar/band is worked, the steek is neatly tacked to the WS of the garment, either with yarn or sewing thread.
- 20 stitches & 28 rounds = 4″ in Lice section of Galloway Chart (Rounds 16–32) with Size A needle, after blocking
- 20 stitches & 22 rounds = 4″ in Colorwork section of Galloway Chart (Rounds 1–15 and Rounds 33–69) with Size B needle, after blocking
- Note: Correct length of the garment is dependent upon achieving the stated round gauge.
Size A (for Stockinette Stitch and Lice Section of Galloway Chart)
- One each 24″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Colorwork section of Galloway Chart)
- One each 24″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of DPNs, one size larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Due to significant variance between knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether or not Size B should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A. Please read about Speed Swatching for Circular Knitting (see Special Techniques).
Size C (for Ribbing)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs*, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
Size D (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size C
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., Sleeves).
- 33 (38, 43, 47½, 52½, 57)” [84 (96.5, 109, 120.5, 133.5, 145) cm] circumference at chest
- Sample shown is size 38″ [96.5 cm] with 7″ [18 cm] ease on model
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.