- 20 stitches & 30 rounds = 4” in stockinette stitch with Size A needle, after blocking
- 20 stitches & 21 rounds = 4” in chart pattern with Size B needle, after blocking
Note: Correct length of the one-piece yoke is dependent upon achieving the stated round gauge.
Size A (for Single-Color Stockinette Stitch)
- One each 24” and 32” circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Two- and Three-Color Rounds of Chart Pattern)
- One each 24” and 32” circular needles, one size larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Due to significant variance among knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched and wet-blocked prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether or not Needle Size B should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A. Please read about Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting (see Special Techniques in pattern).
Size C (for Ribbing)
- One each 16” and 32” circular needles and one set of DPNs*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size D (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32” circular needle and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size C
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., Sleeves).
- 34½ (37½, 40¾, 44) (47¼, 50½, 53½, 56¾)” [87.5 (95.5, 103.5, 112) (120, 128.5, 136, 144) cm] circumference at bust / chest
- Intended Ease: + 3–5” (7.5–12.5 cm)
- Women’s sample shown is size 37½” [95.5 cm] with 3½” [9 cm] ease on model
- Men’s sample shown is size 44” [112 cm] with 6” [15 cm] ease on model
The finished bust/chest measurements are the same for both the Women’s and the Men’s versions; see Construction Notes for differences between the two versions.
Note how the sizes are divided within the parentheses for ease of following instructions. Make a note of which position in which set of parentheses your chosen size falls before you begin.