- 23 stitches & 38 rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 23 stitches & 34 rounds = 4″ in Carbon Chart pattern with Size B needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Stockinette Stitch Fabric):
- One each 16″, 24″, and 32″ or 40″ circular needles, and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Size B (for Colorwork Fabric):
- One each 24″ and 32″ or 40″ circular needles, two sizes larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Due to significant variance between knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether or not this needle size should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A. Please read about Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting (see Special Techniques).
Size C (for Facing and Ribbing):
- One each 16″ and 32″ or 40″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2½)
Size D (optional; for Tubular Cast On only):
- One set of DPNs* one size smaller than Size C needle(s)
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
Note: Use 32″ circular needles for Sizes 38½ and 42¾; use 40″ circular needles for Sizes 47, 51¼, 55¼, and 59½”.
*32″ or 40″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs and 16″ circular if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e., Sleeves).
- 38½ (42¾, 47, 51¼, 55¼, 59½)” circumference at chest
Intended Ease: + 3–5″
- Sample shown is size 42¾” with + 3¾” ease on model